In July, 1913, J.H Oakes, a wholesale merchant, and his wife Jessie took out a building permit for a $12,000 dwelling and hired the local architectural firm of Nisbet & Paradice to design their new home. The 17-room, 6,000 square foot house was designed in the Neoclassical Revival style and features brick walls, sandstone trim, and oak detailing. Of particular interest is the two-story, pedimented front porch with minimally decorated, full-height columns, which lend the house its distinguished neoclassical influence.
When constructed, the house was considered one of the most modern in the city. The dining room had a floor bell to call servants and the lower floor also included a living room, music room, and solarium with a billiard room in the basement. An upstairs bedroom features an unusual bed which could be used in warm weather. The bed extends outside the wall of the house with a special screened cover. When not in use, the bed can be pushed into the cover which converts into a bench.
The Oakes? lived in the house with their two children, Fred and Sarah, until Jessie?s death in 1922. The house was then sold to Boise developer, Walter E. Pierce. Founded in 1890, W.E. Pierce and Company was primarily interested in real estate and quickly began developing and promoting Boise. Over the next 40 years Pierce was instrumental to Boise?s growth. The firm developed most of the neighborhoods in Boise?s North End and platted subdivisions in the East End and along State Street as well. Walter entered politics and served as mayor of Boise in 1895 and 1896, was elected president of the Commercial Club, today?s Chamber of Commerce, and operated the Natatatorium, Boise?s natural hot water resort. He organized the Boise and Interurban electric railway which connected communities in the Boise Valley. In 1927, the Pierces temporarily left 1201 Harrison to allow Governor H. Clarence Baldridge and his wife Cora to use the home as their official residence during his time in office. Pierce later returned and remained at that address until 1943.
This home was featured on the 12th Annual Heritage Homes Tour in 2014 thanks to the generosity of the current homeowners Drs. Dave and Sharon Oster.