Dr. Hugh B. Colver and his wife, Ximena, likely built this Colonial Revival style house in 1952. The accentuated front door with its sidelights and nominally decorative pediment, combined with the house’s symmetrical facade, and paired, double-hung, multi-pane windows make it an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style. Additional indicators of the house’s style include the red brick wall material and the side-gabled roof. It is interesting to note that the built-in garage was common in this style of house after 1940, when the Federal Housing Administration issued a bulletin on methods to integrate a garage into side-gabled Colonial Revival homes. In addition to having the house constructed, Hugh and Ximena added sheetrock to the garage in 1954, built a fence in 1955, and installed perimeter insulation in 1956.
Dr. Hugh B. Colver was born on June 27, 1890, in Nebraska (city unknown), and by 1912 he resided in Boise and worked as a dentist. In addition, Dr. Colver served as a vocalist for various church functions around the Treasure Valley and was elected to the American College of Dentists, from whom he received an honorary degree in 1938. Ximena T. Colver was born on August 8, 1892, in Cove (state unknown), and moved to Boise in 1912. Ximena enjoyed golfing and gardening, and while she lived at 1200 Arcadia she was active in several local clubs, particularly the Women’s Society of Christian Service of the First Methodist Church and the P.E.O. Sisterhood, Chapter A. Hugh and Ximena were married on August 30, 1916, in Boise. They moved to Corvallis in 1957 and to Portland in 1958, at which time Hugh passed away. Ximena returned to Corvallis in 1976 and remained there until her death in 1986, at the age of 93.