Fifteen-Eleven, North 20th Street is located in the heart of Boise’s North End. The Craftsman style abode was constructed in 1927. Three fireplaces constituted the main source of heating, like most homes of its age. Above the stove, a decorated mirror covers the hole that the flume from the wood burning stove has left. A nostalgic chandelier hangs in the center of the front walkway; its intricate iron and glasswork integrate the craftsman style of the house and its construction date well.
Fifteen-Eleven was one of the first buildings on its block, and its architecture exists today as proof. A bright, windowed sunroom on the north side and a great bay window on the south both peer close into fences and neighboring buildings. Some decades ago, the homeowners could probably enjoy tea or coffee and gaze around the block behind the glass.
The exterior of the house demonstrates both Neoclassical and Craftsman architecture. Two, one-story Doric pillars support an elongated Greek-revival style Gable. The pillars stand on an elevated platform that leads to the front door. Long horizontal and white woodwork on the front of the house widens the building, and adds to the Greek style. Shrubbery in the front is symmetrical, keeping in sync with the symmetry of the building. The hedging also alludes to the location of the house; the North end is a lively, green community, and 1511 20th remains consistent with its surroundings. Glasswork around the front door departs from the Neo-classical style of the pillars, and takes on the craftsman style.
Tiny fragments of frosted glass sparkle around the green door. Up close, small floral details are easily seen. Ironwork between the glass is dark and allows the white glass to stand out. Beneath the mighty triangular gable, perches a small semicircle of colored glass. This is a perfect juxtaposition of Greek revival and craftsman architecture. A garage that was later added is located behind the building, and does not distract from the front.
After stepping through the old doors, the interior proves to be equally as impressive. An inviting walk in hallway is lined with ornate French doors and dark wood, characteristics of craftsman architecture. In the spacious and cozy living room, a fireplace is tucked on the far wall, lined in black-green marble. On either side of it, more French doors lead to the pleasant sunroom.
Farther down the entrance hall, the vast dining room is alluring and dark with wood paneling along the walls. Anne Huycke, current homeowner, claims that the owner before her used the building for a physical therapy clinic. This inviting room was used as the waiting room, she speculates. Just beyond the dining room hides a full bathroom with a beautifully ancient toilet. The flush pulley hangs close to a frosted window that matches the glasswork on the front door.
In the near century of its history, the building has undergone significant renovations. Sometime before Huycke’s ownership, a basement was dug out behind the building, and connected to a water closet. The dark wood paneling that can be seen in most of the house is absent in the kitchen, which was remodeled sometime in the 50’s or 60’s. It now stands out with fire truck red cabinets and detail. The appliances throughout the kitchen notably date back to the fifties as well. Additionally, the kitchen and master bedroom have been extended about fifteen feet back to include a kitchen extension, laundry area and another full bathroom.