Jack and Beverly Peck acquired a mortgage from the Provident Federal Savings and Loan in
December of 1956 in the amount of $14,400. This modest sum was likely the combined
value of both the purchase price for their lot in Unit No. 1 of The Highlands and the
construction cost of their new home to which they moved in 1957. Though unattributed
to any particular architect, the design of the home emphasizes many aspects of post-war
contemporary architectural trends. These trends are exhibited in the home?s rectilinear massing,
shallow, cross-gabled roofs with deep eaves, clerestory windows which provide privacy for the
street-facing elevations, and integration of both concrete block and board and batten siding.
These exterior materials in particular reference ? perhaps inadvertently ? the Usonian houses
designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. In 1977, a remodel of the home was completed that converted
the garage, originally located to the left of the present front door, to a new entry, living room,
and bedroom. These alterations, completed for $5,000, are sympathetic to the original design
of the home.
Born in Oklahoma in 1918, Jack Peck was raised in Boise where he graduated from Boise
High School in 1935. At the time he moved into the house on Tartan, Peck was working as a
salesman for Moore Business Forms, Inc. His wife Beverly was a typist at the State Department
of Law Enforcement. The Pecks lived in the home only briefly. By 1960, they were no longer
listed at the address. Jack later moved to Billings, Montana where he died in 1992.
The short ownership and occupancy of the Pecks was a precursor to a series of occupants
throughout the 1960s and 70s. Most stayed for only a year or two. These residents included a
watch salesman, a doctor in the US Army, an insurance salesman, an attorney, and the director
of the State Maternal and Child Health Services. The relatively long tenure of the present
owners has lasted the better part of two decades.
This home was on the 11th Annual Heritage Home Tour in 2013 thanks to the generosity of the current homeowners Greg and Jill Weigel.