This little red brick house located on Bacon Street was built in 1953 and is a fine example of the modern traditional architecture of the 1950s. The movement came about from the Avant Garde movement with the goal of the modernist/minimalist of “less is more.” This style, created post World War II, sought to create houses that were practical and simple as living space for middle and working class families. They were a place where social and economic needs would be met. Simple materials were used, floor plans were square and unnecessary details were left off.
This little brick house is still very much the same as it was when it was built. The only think that has been changed is the kitchen that has been remodeled and the trim painted. The red bricks are made out of volcanic cinder giving an older look to the house and the bricks also protrude in places. The hipped roof and the minimalist idea is present in the structure. The house looks very symmetrical when looked at from the street because of the trees on each side and the windows. The walkway leads straight to the front door inviting visitors into the house. To the side of the front door are two metal stands that act as columns keeping in tradition of the minimalist idea. The current resident has lived in the building since 1974 and has watched her children and grandchildren grow up in the house. Even after years have gone by its architectural significance will be remembered and cherished.