The Hitchcock building downtown is recognized by most as the current home of the Record Exchange, located at 1105 W. Idaho Street. It was designed in 1919 by the architects Wayland and Fennell as the Falk Estate, and used for the location of a used car dealership. It is a brick built building with cement floors. It’s original size was much smaller, but through two add-on’s around the 1930s it was extended into the larger building that we recognize today.
Today the building is most recognizable by the outside mural. The original mural went up over twenty years ago and depicted a street scene from early century Boise. It was designed and painted by Fred Choate. The new mural was dedicated in November of 2006, designed by the firm Oliver Russell, but yet again painted by Fred Choate. It was repainted to celebrate The Record Exchange’s 30th year in business. The Hitchcock building is an indispensible Art Deco landmark of the Boise Downtown.