The former McCammon State Bank is two-story brick block in a Romanesque revival style. It occupies a corner lot; the original entrance opened onto the intersection in conformance with preferred banking house convention. The design emphasis, to, is on the corner. Narrow round-arched entries onto the inset corner porch are set against double-width round-arched windows in the adjacent bays. In the upper story a more regular pattern is established. Segmentally arched windows alternate with flat pilasters and stepped bricks are set into the corbel table in bracket fashion. The stories are unified vertically by the pilasters, which are interrupted by plain capitals and terminate in squared pinnacles. Horizontal articulation is achieved by string courses on the upper facade. On the lower it is provided by recessed “architraves”, and by a foundation, sills and trim of rusticated stone.
Comparison of historic with contemporary photographs indicate that the structure is little changed from its original appearance. It is cornerstone dated 1906.
The McCammon State Bank building is architecturally significant as a handsome and well-preserved example of a Romanesque Revival style in this small-town setting. It is the only commercial building of much pretension to survive in McCammon, dominating a streetscape of mostly modest one-story structures. It is in fact one of the few to built, at any rate in such substantial material. Most of the important (and no longer extant) structures of the town–e.g., the Hotel, the opera house, and the roller mill, all built by H.O. Harkness–were of frame construction. (excerpts from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form submitted and approved in 1979.)
The building was in run-down condition until being purchased in 2013 and extensively restored into the present-day Harkness Hotel (named after H.O. Harkness, the founder of McCammon and the individual behind the construction of the bank building).