The Powerhouse was built in 1912, and lies just off the connector in downtown Boise. It was originally run by the “Beaver River Power Company,” identifiable by the two manhole covers that remain on the property. After being built, it was taken over by Idaho Power for the majority of its running time. The Powerhouse not only provided power for the whole valley, but also to trolleys that ran to Meridian. There is still a lamppost next to the connector that was used for trolley stops.
In 1999, Kowalis & Mackey Commercial Real Estate purchased the Powerhouse. The new owners tried to preserve as much of the original construction as possible. The metal beams across the top of the building are originals as are the window openings. The bricked-in circles in the northeast top corner of the structure are where the power lines headed out from the building to the city. After being empty for almost 15 years, the new owners renovated the Powerhouse and transformed it into the Powerhouse Event Center with the ability to host any type of social function with up to 400 people. The first event of this type was held on October 27, 2000.
The building is now owned by Windermere Real Estate, which has done an excellent job of updating the interior and maintaining the original look of the building.
Updated photos courtesy of Tom and Gretchen at Windermere Real Estate.